Thursday, May 14, 2015

Diabetes Blog Week: Changes

Today we're blogging about changes, whether it's medical advances, perception, changes I e made, etc.

Yes, things have changed drastically since I did the urine dipstick to determine my blood sugar or the beef or pork insulin to inject (wow, I AM old!:) when I was diagnosed. And for the meters, pumps, and pharmaceuticals I am sincerely grateful. But I know there has to be more! I don't know about a cure, I mean, of course I have hope. I will always hope. But I've accepted that this is my life, what I have now and how I deal with it all today is all I've got. I can accept that but I don't have to like it!

So change for me would probably be some form of closed loop system. I gave up vanity awhile back and even sported my Dexcom on my belly and my Omnipod pump on my arm in a bikini in Cancun last month without a care in the world. Hell I'll wear all sorts on contraptions if it means I don't have to fear an unexpected low or have guilt and nausea of a cursing high, just a smooth flattened line to a few days in a row, that's a change I have sincere hope will happen someday.

I joke with my family now that I'm like the bionic woman with my two attachments, I'll have to come up with something better if I get to add another few or larger ones to the ensemble! :)


1 comment: