Friday, March 7, 2014

March Friday Favorites

     So, considering my last Friday Favorites post was all edible items, I just want to take the opportunity to state I do have other interests aside from food! My relationship with food is a close one, as it is for a lot of people but I think having diabetes and knowing from the time of diagnoses how much impact food can directly have on my numbers makes that relationship even more unique. I have fond memories of being in the kitchen with my mom trying recipe after recipe, in hopes of finding a cookie or treat that wouldn't impact my blood sugar that actually tasted good. Many of those hours in the kitchen were in vain as I cannot even think of one recipe I still make today and most ended up in the garbage! But over the years and our A for effort attempts I have nothing but wonderful memories of the process, not the outcome. It is still that process that I enjoy and thanks to all that time I do pride myself on being a pretty good judge of recipes, what will actually taste good! Here are the most recent ones I've tried from Pinterest, LOVE Pinterest!

Fish tacos
Who's craving spring?!?!??!?! I am! When I came across this recipe I figured it's worth a try because and they were fabulous! My husband and kids both enjoyed but I did leave out the cayenne pepper, we are sort of wimps when it comes to spicy. I recommend this one! Use corn tortilla and great gluten free dinner! Link is below
http://collegeparkwife.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/baked-fish-tacos-with-lime-slaw/

Egg and Avocado Toast
I love eggs and I love avocadoes but I've seen this all over and I wasn't sold but finally had to try it and can I just say THANK YOU for whoever came up with this! Delish! Link is below but it truly is three ingredients and there you go, I fried egg and left yolk soft or you could follow recipe...yum!
http://www.giverecipe.com/egg-avocado-toast.html

Broccoli chicken
Easy crockpot meal and fairly healthy aside from the cream cheese but use 1/3 less fat cream cheese and this is a satisfying meal.  I used fresh broccoli that I steamed a few minutes before tossing in because I just can't handle frozen spinach or broccoli, it's a personal preference thing. Toss in more broccoli and this is so hearty and healthy!
http://www.skinnymom.com/2012/11/27/skinny-slow-cooker-creamy-chicken/#.UsWY4Rbvxz8

Turkey meatloaf
This is our go to meatloaf recipe since this long winter and my kids love it, in fact their neighbor friend has been here on two separate occaisons and joined us for dinner and she's a fan, too!
http://www.bethenny.com/2013/09/19/comfort-turkey-meatloaf-recipe/

Zuppa Toscana
I've developed an obsession with kale...it is so healthy and packed with nutrients but I struggle to just eat it as is because of its heartiness. My favorite thing to do with it is tear apart the leaves, discarding the core of each lea, laying it on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and kosher salt and bake until crispy. These are literally as satisfying as potato chips and so much better. Greens are great for blood sugars! Anyone else have ideas on what to do with kale? This is a close second favorite, but don't use cream, I use fat free half and half and it is so good! I never use cream anymore, always fat free half and half! Drain the sausage, too and the more kale the better! This is a good one and comes together quickly on a weeknight!
http://momsdish.com/recipe/303/zuppa-Toscana

Happy weekend! I'm off to Minneapolis with my family tonight and meeting up with some good friends I don't see often as well as my sister-in-law and her hubbie; we are meeting their new newfoundland puppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment