Sunday, May 18, 2014

Digging in the Dirt

Finally! The forecast doesn't have below freezing in its view so I could finally get my garden in the ground! A variety of tomato plants, lots of peppers, zucchini, peas, kale, watermelon, and this year our trial plant is cantaloupe. Each year the girls pick something new to plant and see if it prospers. Last year was watermelon and we did get a few little, sweet melons so it made the official garden list this year. Blueberries were attempted a few years ago and we will not do that one again, unless we move to Maine! :)

There is something so gratifying about digging in the dirt and growing your own fruits and veggies. Even as a young girl I insisted on planting a garden every year growing up on the farm and I loved it just as much then as I still do today! My girls have always been good eaters and I truly believe getting them in the garden and the kitchen plays such a big part in that!

Another lesson I relearn each year is how much physical labor is involved in digging in the garden. In two hours, a pre-garden blood sugar of 132, three carbohydrate snacks, and no bolus to cover any of them I hovered in the low 80's and maintained that for another two hours after finishing. It made me wonder if we all still ate out of a garden and didn't ever discover preservatives other than the act of canning if diabetes would even be around. Of course, sampling the frosting for Addison's birthday cake yesterday as I was finishing it pulled the ol' blood sugar up with no problem but guessing if I ate a piece of that decadent cake while gardening I would need a whole lot less insulin to cover it!
Veggies are great but my herbs are my favorite part of the growing season so I was so excited to find these containers at Target to hang on my deck that is just off our kitchen. Now my herbs are right there while I am making dinner! I labeled each with a wine cork and Sharpie stuck on a toothpick. So happy with these little beauties and even more excited to find some new recipes that use rosemary, basil, mint, dill, or my favorite...cilantro! 

Happy gardening, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment