Monday, October 13, 2014

Crafty Hunter's Widow

Growing up in North Dakota, there was a term that women came up with for themselves when fall approached and hunting season started. Being a hunter's widow wasn't necessarily considered a positive when you are in a rural area with not a lot to do, which is why I joined the hunting party as I entered junior high. However, now that I live in a larger town with places to go, people to see, not to mention a few more shopping options:), the girls and I look forward to our time together crafting, baking, shopping, and relaxing.

Today we spent hours crafting and had so much fun! I'm always trying to talk Graci or Addi into sewing with my machine but it hadn't occurred to me to do hand stitching until we came upon these adorable sew-your-own kits at Michael's, selfies not included...
We got home from our first shopping trip, curled up in my bed, and I taught the girls how to sew a button on and do basic running stitches to put together these adorable felt treasures. And they both loved it! So much, in fact, that neither could put it down until completion! Graci made an owl ornament...
and Addi made a cupcake with sprinkles...
A few hours later we made a quick run to Hancock  so I could do a little stitching with my sewing machine to work on this Halloween table runner...
I plan to create purple and black witch legs that dangle from the side of the table, hopefully sometime before the season is over, and more importantly, there is Addi modeling her sister's Anna hat since she didnt' get the Elsa one. The big topic in our house while we crafted was what Addi would be for Halloween this year, a baby, her initial idea, or Elsa to match Anna, which Graic has decided to be since we found the hat with an insanely long braid...

A perfect end to a great day until Graci reminded me that today is Columbus Day so no school for the girls and after looking at my calendar, I realized I had requested a vacation day a few months back and forgotten (which is typical for me :) so we have another day today to do whatever we wish! And since by 7:30 this morning, Addi has been sitting across from me randomly sewing buttons onto fabric for fun, I think I know what our day will entail...even better? My mom is coming over to join us today and bringing fresh cinnamon rolls for the girls! Could life be any sweeter?!?!?!?! Hope you have a crafty Columbus day, too! 




No comments:

Post a Comment